Kindergartners meet five days a week from 9:30-1:30. Children must be 5 years old by September 1st in order to enroll in Kindergarten.
Most children who attend St. Matthew’s Kindergarten will go on to attend Gwinnett County Schools. For that reason, St. Matthew’s Kindergarten follows the Gwinnett County’s Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS), to ensure our children are ready for 1st grade.
Our curriculum encompasses these 7 areas of learning:
- Reading: Literature
- Reading: Informational Text
- Reading: Foundational Skills
- Speaking and Listening
- Counting and Cardinal Numbers
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Measurement and Data
- Characteristics of Science
- Earth Science
- Physical Science
- Life Science
- Map and Globe Skills
- Information Processing Skills
- Where We Live
- Our Nation
- Observing National Holidays
- Personal Finance
- Skills and Techniques
- Creative Expression and Communication
- Cultural and Historical Context
- First Aid
- Personal Care
- Family Life
- Emotional Expression
In addition to studying the 7 areas of learning, children will have the opportunity to have at least 20 minutes of physical activity each day, if weather permits.
All Kindergarten children will have the opportunity to go on a minimum of two field trips during the school year.